
A wanted suspect was taken into custody Tuesday after a high-speed pursuit that crossed from Tangipahoa Parish into Livingston Parish, according to the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff’s Office. Deputies say 31-year-old Donza Ashton fled a traffic stop on Wardline Road, accelerating down local streets and onto Highway 190, where speeds topped 100 mph. The chase continued into Livingston Parish, ending when Ashton abandoned his vehicle on Wagner Road in Albany and was apprehended with help from the Livingston Parish Sheriff’s Office. Authorities report that multiple drugs and distribution materials were recovered, and Ashton now faces ten charges in Tangipahoa Parish along with outstanding warrants and additional drug-related offenses in Livingston Parish.
–The St Tammany Parish Council’s Government Efficiency Committee will meet Thursday, November 20, at 1:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers on Koop Drive in Mandeville. The meeting will be livestreamed on Charter Channel 710, U-verse Channel 99, and on the parish website at www.sttammany.gov/stpgtv. The agenda includes a response from the St. Tammany Parish Mosquito Abatement District to a presentation given at the committee’s October 23 meeting, committee recommendations to the Parish Council, and planning discussions for 2026.
–A federal judge on Wednesday added two more life sentences to the four Daniel Callihan was already serving, bringing his total to six for the murders of Callie and Erin Brunett of Loranger. Prosecutors say Callihan stabbed Callie many times before kidnapping her daughters and taking them to Jackson, Mississippi, where he killed 4-year-old Erin. Family members spoke in court, remembering Callie as a fighter and Erin as a spirited child who loved her grandparents. Tangipahoa Parish District Attorney Scott Perrilloux said no sentence can return what the family has lost. Callihan’s attorneys presented a video showing him sobbing and expressing remorse, but U.S. District Judge Lance Africk said he saw no such emotion in the courtroom, calling Callihan “monstrous.” With Wednesday’s sentencing, Callihan’s court proceedings have concluded, though his co-defendant, Victoria Cox, still faces the possibility of life in prison.
–AN17 reports that the Hammond City Council voted Tuesday night to renew 2026 alcohol licenses for all bars, restaurants, convenience stores, and grocery stores, resolving a controversy that arose after an earlier vote failed in October. The measure passed 4-1, with Councilwoman Carlee Gonzales abstaining due to her interest in a downtown bar. Council members were also informed that The Brown Door, whose permit was suspended after serving alcohol to underage customers, will be eligible to seek licensing once its suspension ends Nov. 21, with the application likely considered at the Dec. 9 meeting. In other business, the council introduced ordinances to set the mayor’s annual salary at $95,000 and council members’ monthly pay at $1,500, both with 2% annual increases effective in 2027, and proposed a 365-day moratorium on new group, adult care, and assisted living facilities, while still allowing variance applications. Additional ordinances introduced would amend billboard requirements in the city’s Unified Development Code, with all measures expected to be voted on at the Dec. 9 meeting.
–Audubon Aquarium Rescue says it has received multiple reports of a manatee in the Amite Diversion Canal in Maurepas, believed to be the same animal previously spotted near the West End boat launch in New Orleans. The manatee has white lesions on its nose, a sign of cold stress, which can occur when water temperatures fall below 68 degrees. AAR and the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries are asking the public to report sightings to help assess the animal’s condition and determine whether a rescue is needed. Anyone who sees the manatee is urged to call 800-442-2511, take photos or video, and note the exact location.
–TRACC (Tangipahoa Reshaping Attitudes for Community Change) is encouraging residents to take part in the Great American Smokeout on November 20, an annual American Cancer Society event that challenges smokers to quit for at least 24 hours with the goal of making the change permanent. With more than 43 million Americans—about one in five adults—still smoking, TRACC is highlighting the health risks and offering educational resources to support those looking to quit at www.tangitracc.org/tobacco.
–The Slidell Police Department has recognized several detectives with a Chief’s Commendation for outstanding performance after solving two major cases in the past month: a homicide at Possum Hollow Park and a bank robbery at Fidelity Bank. The department praised the Criminal Investigations Division for their dedication, long hours, and skill in bringing justice to victims and their families. Detectives honored for the homicide case include Shawn Chopin, Ralph Morel, Jeremy Bertucci, Kyle Taylor, Steve Gilley, Matt Bauer, Kaila Kelley, and Sara Cranford. For the bank robbery investigation, the recognized team includes Louis Pellissier, Kyle Taylor, and Tony Karsolich. The department said the awards reflect the exceptional work of its officers and their positive impact on the Slidell community.
–The St. Helena Parish Sheriff’s Office is investigating a homicide reported Tuesday, November 18, at a residence on Highway 43 in Amite, where 78-year-old William Thomas Sharp was found deceased. Detectives quickly identified a suspect, 23-year-old Shane William Travis, who was taken into custody and charged with first-degree murder. Sheriff Clay Chutz extended condolences to the Sharp family as the investigation continues.
–Federal oversight of the New Orleans Police Department has officially ended after 12 years, with U.S. District Judge Susie Morgan declaring the city in substantial compliance with the consent decree. The decree, which followed a federal investigation uncovering systemic issues like excessive force and biased policing, led to major reforms including new use-of-force policies, body cameras, bias-free policing standards, and greater transparency. Police Superintendent Anne Kirkpatrick called the decision a proud milestone, while protesters outside the hearing voiced opposition. Officials, including Louisiana Attorney General Liz Murrill, noted that ending the decree marks a new chapter for NOPD rather than the finish line, emphasizing the department must continue to uphold constitutional policing standards even as federal immigration operations begin in the city.
–Acting U.S. Attorney Michael M. Simpson announced that 58-year-old Barbara Augustin of Franklinton has pleaded guilty to theft of government funds after admitting she fraudulently received more than $40,000 in Social Security benefits. Federal prosecutors say that from November 2018 through May 2023, Augustin continued collecting payments on behalf of her son despite knowing he was incarcerated, a fact she failed to report to the Social Security Administration. She now faces up to ten years in prison, three years of supervised release, a $250,000 fine, and a $100 mandatory special assessment. The case was investigated by the Social Security Administration’s Office of Inspector General and is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Tiwana Wright of the Financial Crimes Unit.
–The Tangipahoa Mosquito Abatement District will conduct a second aerial mosquito treatment on Thursday, November 20, at approximately 5:25 p.m., weather permitting, in response to elevated mosquito counts. The spray zone will cover an area south and parallel to I-12 in the Ponchatoula area. Residents can view the planned treatment map by visiting the district’s spray zone page.
–The Tangipahoa Parish Library invites the community to a free Saturday Matinee Movie Adventure on Nov. 22 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Independence Branch. The event will feature a screening of “Lilo & Stitch,” along with popcorn, drinks, and a themed craft activity. All ages are welcome to attend.
–The Independence Italian Cultural Museum will host a fundraiser on Friday, Nov. 21, offering stuffed artichokes and muffalettas for purchase from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. All proceeds will support ongoing projects and improvements at the museum. Pre-orders are encouraged and can be placed by calling 985-320-6007 or 985-878-3773.
–Federal immigration enforcement operations that have drawn national attention in cities like Chicago and Charlotte could soon arrive in New Orleans, led by Border Patrol commander Gregory Bovino, who oversaw similar Trump-era operations in Chicago and previously led the New Orleans sector. The Department of Homeland Security plans to deploy roughly 250 agents to Louisiana, mirroring the size of recent operations elsewhere, which have sparked protests, legal challenges, and controversy over the use of force. In Charlotte, more than 250 people were arrested in one week, while in Chicago, videos of detentions and confrontations with protesters led a federal judge to require Bovino to wear a body camera and provide daily updates. Bovino has defended the agency’s actions as “exemplary” and the “least amount of force necessary.” Local officials, including NOPD Chief Anne Kirkpatrick, say they have not received formal briefings on the deployments and stressed that New Orleans police will not participate in civil immigration enforcement, only providing support to ensure public safety.






